Saturday, July 14, 2012

Summer

I would say I've been too busy to post, but that's not true. More like too mopey - depressed  - bored. I spent most of the day sitting at the computer but haven't blogged since April.

We are living in Raymond in Trevor's dad's house for the summer. It was sitting empty since he is working in Calgary and Fort McMurray. I guess I had high expectations - it's a brand new house, spacious, vaulted ceiling in the living room, huge front and back yard, raised deck, lots of light, brand new gas stove.

But I didn't realize that it would be so hot that we'd have to put tinfoil over those nice big windows - so tacky but it would literally have been 40 degrees Celsius in here this week if we hadn't. I'm constantly on edge because the kids are ruining his ultra-glossy brand new hardwood floors, along with all the usual things they wreck. The basement is totally undeveloped, and the upstairs is *mostly* done. Let's just say, I will be incredibly grateful for toilet paper holders, towel bars, and handles on the cabinets in our new house! I will appreciate those things in a way I never have before - I'm sure of it!

Kids can't go out in the yard because there's no fences anywhere in Raymond, which is disappointing. We're all chomping at the bit for the kids to have a yard they can go out in anytime they'd like. Besides having no fence, the back is full of garbage - construction scraps, containers of used oil, old kitchen sink, propane tanks, broken bottles.

I don't want this post to be a compilation of my complaints, rather a brief explanation of why I'm depressed about living here. The people in Raymond have been great. I've adjusted to living in this town much better than I thought I would and I'm even warming up to living in a small Mormon town. I could do it. Maybe because I didn't grow up in the church - I love everyone around being Mormon.

But the kids and I are just plain bored. I don't have close friends here, and the gas into Lethbridge is so much. The kids and I watch TV literally all day until we're all pulling our own hair out. We have no fresh food because it goes bad extremely quickly in the fridge (guess it doesn't seal properly?), I can't stand cooking in the gas convection oven because it takes more than an hour just to heat up to temperature - all around, I've given up. Especially on cooking.

Needless to say, I will be very happy when our house is finished. We take possession August 28th and plan to move in on August 30th - we'd like to paint a few feature walls before we move in.








1 comment:

  1. Aww Skye, sorry its been so tough. I know you said you don't come into town lots, but if you are ever in and have nothing to do, give me a ring and we can get together! 388-0537
    Sending you my love!

    ReplyDelete